After the occupation and annexation in 1940, the Soviet secret services were established in the Baltic States. The institution was reorganised employing new and reliable people. The Board of State Security was under the jurisdiction of the Home Affairs People’s Commissariat (NKVD). It consisted of the following divisions: the 1st Department, in charge of guarding the highest members of the Party and the Presidium of the Supreme Council and state institutions, and screening people who wanted to work for the Central Committee of the CP; the 2nd Department (consisting of four branches), which was a secret political department which gathered data about former officials of independent Lithuania and Latvia, members of political parties, political figures, émigrés, Polish and German refugees, the staff of state and research institutions, the staff of paramilitary organisations, and those who were suspected of counterrevolutionary activities; the 3rd (counterintelligence ) Department (consisting of four branches), which was engaged in exposing foreign secret services in Lithuania and Latvia, and shadowed people suspected of having ties with the secret services of foreign countries. The 7th Department was engaged in encoding and guarding state secrets. There were also administrative branches. On 3 February 1941, the State Security People’s Commissariat (NKGB) was established to take the place of the NKVD State Security Board. It was separate from the NKVD and had political functions, to ensure state security. The 3rd and 4th branches were also formed. The former 2nd Department of the NKVD State Security was restructured into a secret political department. It was one of the largest and most important departments, consisting of six branches, charged with fighting nationalist and anti-Soviet manifestations in various strata of society, anti-Soviet organisations, and searching for anti-Soviet documents. The NKVD (UGB) 3rd Department was formed into a counterintelligence department. There was also an intelligence department, the NKGB 2nd Department (records and statistics), and the 5th Department, which was in charge of encoding and guarding state secrets. The Investigations Department was given over to the NKGB. When the war broke out in 1941, part of the NKGB apparatus was evacuated to the USSR.
The NKGB 2nd Department
This department was established when the NKGB secret political and counterintelligence departments were joined into one at the end of July 1944. From 1944 to 1947, the 2nd Department was the largest of all the KGB departments. It consisted of nine branches, which later became separate divisions. From 1945 to 1950, it was in charge of all spheres of counterintelligence work, fighting against foreign secret services and counterintelligence. It collected information about Great Britain, America, Germany, Poland and other European countries, and repatriation and Zionism. Between 1950 and 1960, it only had the function of political counterintelligence. From 1954 to 1959, the 2nd Department consisted of five branches, which carried out counterintelligence work in America and European countries, and monitored foreign tourists and sailors (from approx 1956, also Soviet tourists going abroad). Among its functions were also: keeping records on “repatriates and re-emigrants” and preliminary operative checks; counterintelligence on “national emigration” (i.e., monitoring Lithuanian tourists coming to the Baltic States); the search for “state criminals” (mostly “German collaborators”, “destroyers” and so on); counterintelligence in border districts; the surveillance of people suspected of “spying”; industrial espionage, and the fight against so-called nationalism and anti-Soviet activities.